MediaCom was the only UK agency to take home one of 13 awards in the Effective Innovation category at the Warc Awards.
The WPP agency picked up a silver award for Manchester retailer Missguided’s tie-up with ITV’s Love Island. In addition, it was given a special Partnership Award.
The campaign included TV ads throughout the series built around the slogan "Living your best life", as well as a Love Island app in which a "style" button took users to an interface that showed stills from the contestants wearing Missguided clothes, alongside links to shop for individual pieces.
"Missguided styles Love Island" also won two prizes at this year's Campaign Media Awards and has received two nominations in this year's Campaign Tech Awards, which take place next month.
DDB won a gold for "Re:scam – the world's most unhelpful chatbot" on behalf of Netsafe New Zealand.
The Grand Prix went to Energy BBDO in the US for its "Prescribed to death" campaign for National Safety Council. The Omnicom agency created a memorial for the government division to highlight the US opiod crisis, after Donald Trump declared a public-health emergency in 2017.
Three special awards were also given: a Channel Innovation Award, for the best example of an innovative use of media; a Category Innovation Award, for the best example of a brand defying category norms or creating a new category; and a Partnership Award, for the best collaboration that helped a brand rethink a solution to a business challenge.
Dan Burdett, former chief marketing officer for EMEA at eBay, chaired the jury of 14 agency- and client-side industry leaders.
The full list of winners
- "Prescribed to death", National Safety Council, Energy BBDO, US
- Re:scam – the world's most unhelpful chatbot, Netsafe New Zealand, DDB Group New Zealand, New Zealand
- "My line", Colombian Ministry of Technology & Communication, MullenLowe SSP3, Colombia
- "Monty", Fox Cricket, Foxtel, Mindshare, Australia (Channel Innovation Award)
- "Flu tracker based on AI", Theraflu, GlaxoSmithKline, MediaCom Russia, Russia
- "The woman behind the veil:", Al Rajhi Bank, FP7 McCann Riyadh, Saudi Arabia (Category Innovation Award)
- "India's digital locker", Paytm Gold, One97 Communications, McCann Worldgroup India, India
- "Block wish", Alepa, HOK-Elanto | S Group, Sok Media, Finland
- "Missguided styles Love Island", Missguided, MediaCom, UK (Partnership Award)
- "Noon assembly", Kwality Dairy, Kwality Limited, McCann Worldgroup India, India
- "Anything is better with KFC Golden Egg Crunch", KFC, QSR Stores Sdn Bhd, Ensemble Worldwide, Universal McCann, Malaysia
- "Hunger-free airlines", Snickers, Mars China, BBDO China, China
- "The world's longest drive-through furniture catalogue", Ikea, McCann Worldgroup, India
The winners in the remaining categories – Effective Content Strategy, Effective Social Strategy and Effective Use of Brand Purpose – will be announced shortly. The Grand Prix and Special Awards winners across the four categories of the Warc Awards share a $40,000 (£31,400) prize fund.