Procter & Gamble’s Tide took the Super Bowl by storm in 2018 with the brand’s "It’s a Tide Ad" spot, and now it’s won the Grand Effie Trophy at this year’s U.S. Effie Awards U.S.
The top award was presented to P&G, agency partner Saatchi & Saatchi New York, as well as contributors Hearts & Science, Taylor Strategy, MKTG and MMC.
"‘It’s a Tide Ad’ had insight, magic, effervescence, surprise, extraordinary execution and great numbers. When all of these things come together in a seemingly effortless way, it’s a winner," said Grand Effie Juror, David Lubars, chairman and CCO of BBDO, in a statement.
This year, in celebration of its 50th anniversary, the Effie’s also named "5 for 50" winners, which are brands (and their agencies) that have stayed the most relevant and have shown the most effectiveness over the last five decades. The entrants also had to have won more than one Effie Award over more than one year.
The "5 for 50" Effie Award recipients are:
- Apple & Media Arts Lab: "From the brink of bankruptcy to one of the world’s most beloved brands" with OMD USA
- Unilever & Ogilvy: "Dove - Campaign for Real Beauty" with Edelman USA
- IBM & Ogilvy: "IBM. A leading brand. A lasting brand."
- Mastercard & McCann Worldgroup: "22 Years of Priceless"
- Nike & Wieden+Kennedy: "NIKE JUST DO IT"
A number of other brands and agencies were strong contenders for the top prize, including:
- Chicago Sun-Times & Ogilvy: "The Blank Page"
- Diageo North America & TracyLocke: "Diageo Pretty Simple Drinks"
- Gerber & co-lead agencies Terri & Sandy and Ogilvy: "Anything for Baby" with Edible, Hornall Anderson and Hogarth
- Kellogg's Rice Krispies Treats & co-lead agencies Leo Burnett/Arc and Starcom: "Write-on Wrappers" with Google and Krispr
- National Safety Council & Energy BBDO: "Prescribed to Death" with PHD and Ketchum
- Tourism Australia & Droga5: "Dundee: A tourism campaign in disguise" with UM and Kovert Creative
- Unilever’s Axe & co-lead agencies Team Unilever Shopper and Geometry: "Axe Start His Journey" with Mirum Shopper
- WeCounterHate and POSSIBLE-Seattle: for "Life After Hate" with Spredfast and Hearby Sound